A few casual observations, from a game between the two worst teams in the NBA:
- I heard 17,000 fans showed up for the Lakers-76ers game summer game that featured the top two picks.
- Keying the comeback from a 16-point deficit with a mini-Lebron game (12–8–4, plus SEVEN STEALS and FOUR BLOCKS!), Larry Nance Jr. received “MVP” chants from the fans when he went to the free throw line.
- Angelo Russell (a la the old Mike no D Antoni joke) has gone into full mini-mamba mode. He hit a game-tying shot, played to the crowd, got beat for a layup on the other side, and then hit an absolute prayer with time expiring to win the 76er game.
- Ben Simmons is going to be amazing.
- Zubac just needs to grow long hair and a beard to go with the best new nickname in sports: “Zubacca.”