I’m sorry, sir, but you have violated six of the eight Commandments of popular writing, digitally inscribed on the virtual tablets and handed down by the Gods of data driven marketing as described here:
- Write at a sixth grade level for 25% more recommends (flak without the “c”? pedant? opprobrium?)
- Sentences averaging 12–15 words had 20% more recommends
- Easy to read sentences lead to 43% more recommends (75% or more sentences must be easy to read; in one sample section I pasted into the hemingway editor, you only had 42% of these sentences)
- Write a 6–7 minute article for 20–40% more recommends (If only you would have added something like my handy dandy monetization system*, you would have made the six minute milestone.)
- Use a power word like Great, Top or Best in a title for 21% more recommends
- Call to Action can increase recommends by 25%
If you are going to make such a mockery of the Medium bible, I wonder why you published a title in sentence case (+20% recommends) and published on a Tuesday or Saturday in England (+33% recommends). It was still Friday night for us revelers in Los Angeles, but technically 2 a.m. Saturday, so I’ll give you that one.
I, on the other hand, followed the sacred scrolls with devotion, which is why I wrote “3 powerful secrets to write powerfully.”
To make sure it would be appear at the right time on a Tuesday, I scheduled the first article to be published for people in Australia (I admit, I was late here, which may have had an adverse affect on the avalanche-like momentum I intended to build.)
After that, I used the same article, (making minor changes to the headline and subheads) and added bonus content to appeal to my East Coast readers, and published “33% more powerful writing secrets than Australia’s leading writing secrets post!” at 7 a.m. Eastern Time.
Finally, for my home base, (with awesome new headlines and subheads, plus double rainbow bonus content), I scheduled “West Coast leading-edge power user writing secrets that blow away the East Coast!” to be published at 7 a.m. Pacific Time.
Adding up the increased percentage of recommends, and expected increase in followers, I anticipate reaching 1,272 recommends for the third article any time now, as well as job offers and TV appearances.
I’m sure you could achieve this same kind of success, if you would only follow Jon Westenberg and the other Gods of Medium.
[UPDATE: I am well on my way to my goal of 1,272 recommends for my third article! Thank you, Medium. I love you all!]
*As promised, here is my handy dandy monetization call to action. Every link is a gold mine!
Oh, and by the way, you’ll want to subscribe to my email newsletter for critical updates and bonus content here, my online webinar here, the seminar coming to your town soon here, and the series of books I’ve written here, here, here and here. I promise there will be no further commercial interruptions. (okay, I lied. Buy something here. Okay, I’m done.)
[UPDATE 2: This battle royale over the future of Medium has shifted to the gladitorial sands of the Colosseum. For the original inspiration of this scenario, please click here. To view the entire, multi-author collaboration up to date, please click here.