If you’re really fed up authors who keep writing tired of books about adultery, why not try murder?
They’re different genres, but five of my favorite authors are:
- Walter Mosley (explores racism in post WWII Los Angeles with his detective stories)
- Phillip Kerr (historical fiction/mystery featuring a German cop named Bernie Gunther thrown about the tides of history from the Weimar Republic to Nazi Germany to the Cold War)
- Alan Furst (historical fiction centered on Europe before WWII)
- Elmore Leonard (unbelievable dialogue writer, mostly crime)
- Tim Dorsey (comedy/mystery writer based in Florida, whose funniest scenes have reduced me to cramps and tears)